Thirty Soups in Two Months
Below is a selection of the soups we’ve served in the first two months the café has been open. All are made from scratch using high quality ingredients such as antibiotic-free chicken; fresh vegetables and herbs; locally-raised turkey, and beef; canned and bottled local tomatoes and local frozen corn; and an assortment of healthful and delicious legumes.
We feature a vegetarian soup and a meat-, fish-, or poultry-based soup every day. Many days the soup includes a vegan offering. Stop in for lunch and savor a bowl of one of our ever-changing soups, which change with the seasons.
Please call Baba Olga’s (215-849-1007) to find out todays’ offerings.
- African Yam & Peanut Soup with ginger, cumin & tumeric (vegan)
- Bourbon Corn Chowder
- Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
- Butternut Squash & Honeycrisp Apple Purée with rosemary
- Carrot Ginger Bisque
- Celery Root Purée with Roasted Carrot & Tarragon (vegan)
- Corn & Smoked Turkey Chowder potato, smoked poblanos
- Farmhouse Chicken Corn Chowder (tomato, thyme, gold potato, white corn)
- Chunky Vegetable Soup with Butternut & Kidney Beans
- Greek Lentil Soup with Lemon & Oregano (vegan)
- Hearty Vegetable Beef (beef broth, winter vegetables and herbs)
- Homestyle Chicken-Noodle Soup (dill & celery root)
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Indian Red Lentil Soup w/Chicken
- Italian Chicken Soup with Fregola Pasta (chicken, leeks, carrots, red onion)
- Mushroom Barley Soup (porcini & shallots (vegan)
- Onion Soup with Cheese Croute
- Roasted Cauliflower & Carrot Soup with Dill (vegan)
- Roasted Forest Mushroom Soup (beef broth, shallots & smoked poblano chiles)
- Roman Straciatella Soup
- Quebec Split Pea Soup with Bacon & Leeks
- Spicy Shrimp & Potato Soup (Spanish smoked paprika, cumin, coriander)
- Tomato Fennel Soup with Fregola Pasta
- Turkish Red Lentil Soup (lemon, garlic, Turkish red pepper, mint (vegan)
- Tuscan Kale Soup with Tomato, Chickpeas & tarragon (vegan)
- White Bean, Arugula & Tomato Soup (red onion, rosemary & garlic (vegan)
- Wild Mushroom Bisque
- Winter Vegetable Soup
- Yellow Split Pea Soup with Lancaster Turkey Sausage
- Yemenite Curried Lentil Soup (vegan)
Get Your Signed Copy
THE SOUPMAKER’S KITCHEN: How to Save Your Scraps, Prepare a Stock, and Craft the Perfect Pot of Soup (Quarry Books, July 2013, $24.99) by celebrated cookbook author and café chef manager Aliza Green is a step-by-step cook’s complete guide to making soup, broth, potage, chowder, minestre, minestrone, bisque, and borscht.
Get your copy at Baba Olga’s Café and ask for the author Chef Aliza Green to sign it for you!
Explore more than 50 soup recipes – plus variations on each – from all over the world, and in every style of soup you might want to eat, including a chapter on refreshing chilled summer soups.
African Yam & Peanut Soup